Monday, August 31, 2015

Chocolate Banana Bread


I looked for recipe to make with the ingredients I had.  One banana that had gone too soft.  No butter.  Few eggs. Some cocoa.  A few walnuts. And I found the basic recipe here that had a chocolate drizzle.  I thought I could avoid that. As well as the pastry flour bit, since I had run out of cornflour.  Put the cocoa in and threw in the nuts. I was also dying to try out an electric hand held beater which worked very well. And the banana bread turned out quite nice.  Good enough to feature here and make again.





Ingredients:  Made half the recipe that could serve 5

All purpose flour - 1 3/4  *
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Baking soda - 1 tsp
Cocoa powder - 2-3 tbsp
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Refined oil - 1/4 cup and a little more for greasing the tin
Curd / yogurt - 1/4 cup
Eggs 1 + 1 egg white ( I used just the whole egg)
Vanilla - 1/2 tsp
Banana - 3 nos - mashed about 1 1/2 cup
Walnuts - 1/4 cups


Grease a tin.  Line it with parchment paper.
Preheat the oven to 180 C

In a bowl whisk the dry ingredients - flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and cocoa.
In another bowl whisk the eggs, curd, oil, vanilla.
Mash the banana and add it to the liquid ingredients and whisk well.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, add walnuts and blend well.
Pour in the batter into the prepared loaf tin.
Bake till done.

I made half the quantity and it took me 30-35 minutes till the skewer came out clean.
Recipe calls for 50 mins.  So do check.




The loaf can be given a nice chocolate drizzle, or dust some icing sugar on top.
The cake has just the right amount of sweetness, however if you want it sweeter and you are not having a dusting of icing sugar or drizzle, add a wee bit more.
*And it also called for pastry flour - that is with a bit of cornflour- I ran out of it and did not add. Not sure what the difference would be.
All in all an enjoyable cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some time to spare? Do leave a comment. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails