Thursday, September 25, 2014

A One Bowl Tutti-Frutti Cake

Tutti Frutti in India are those colorful bits that you find in bread, cake and desserts . Most people do not realise these are made from raw papaya.  My cake is not as colourful for I had only pale yellow tutti frutti and not the bright orange or red or green.  It would have added so much colour to the cake.  I also added some mixed fruit peel to tone down the sweetness. And that was another shade of yellow !

Use an electric whisk for best results.  I could not find my adaptor plug for the new beater that I acquired.  And what was to have been a simple effortless one bowl cake was not exactly so, I beat the batter with a wooden spoon till my hands ached.  But the effort was totally worth it.


Recipe  Adapted from Edible Garden
Serves 5

Plain flour ( maida) - 1 cup
Sugar - 2/3 cup ( I reduced it just a bit )
Baking powder - 1/2 tsp
Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
Egg - 1
Buttermilk - 1/2 cup
Butter unsalted - 1/4 cup softened  ( I ran short of butter, so I made up the quantity with refined oil)
Vanilla - 1/2 tsp
Tutti Frutti and Mixed peel - 1/3 cup
Salt - Pinch

Grease and keep ready a loaf pan or use an 8" cake tin

In a bowl, whisk flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda till well mixed

To this add the egg, buttermilk, butter and vanilla extract

Preferably use an electric beater at this stage so that the mixture is well aerated

Meanwhile preheat the oven to 200 C

Mix the tutti frutti and peel with a little flour and add some of it to the mixed batter

Pour into the prepared loaf tin.  Add the remaining tutti frutti on top

Bake for 25-30 minutes till golden brown and a skewer pierced in the centre comes out cleanly.

Cool completely before slicing.


2 comments:

Some time to spare? Do leave a comment. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails